Aikido Classes for Kids on Auckland’s North Shore.
Our Academy classes are for children between the ages of 8 to 15.
Aikido is the perfect martial art for kids as it encourages cooperative behaviour, has a clear ethical structure and is very affordable!
Because Aikido does not rely upon physical strength, kids of both sexes and all shapes and sizes can practice together.
We have a great group of children training with us and our structured but fun environment is designed to bring the best out of each child, not only teaching them self confidence, and self discipline, but also improving core fitness, motor skills, coordination and flexibility.
In their first few weeks they are taught how to fall and roll safely, how to control their posture to maintain balance and how to move fluidly.
Once these core skills have been attained they then start exploring how to take their partner’s balance, and how to use their partners energy to perfom effective throws and immobilisation pins.
We also teach using the Jo (wooden staff) and Bokken (wooden sword) in help coordination, timings, balance and distance perception.
We work to an established system whereby all students can work at their own speed and to their own strengths, but still within a supportive group structure.
Academy classes are usually taught by the senior instructor, who has over 25 years of teaching experience, and often there will be an assistant instructor present on the mat too.
We encourage parents to either stay and watch the classes and even to participate in training.
We have many families groups training together within the organisation.
We are proud to have one of the most successful youth academies in New Zealand.
We attribute our success to having a consistently great group of kids in the class, and having our instructors working very hard to create an environment where kids can not only have have fun and let off steam, but also learn a lot about themselves and how they interract with others.
FROM A PARENT:
One of my friends asked “Why do you pay to take your kids to do Aikido?” Well I have a confession to make, I don’t pay for my kids’ Aikido.
– I pay for those moments when my kids become so tired they want to quit but don’t.
– I pay for those days when my kids come home from school and are “too tired” to go their practice but go anyway.
– I pay for my kids to learn to be disciplined.
– I pay for my kids to learn to take care of their body.
– I pay for my kids to learn to work with others and to be good team mates.
– I pay for my kids to learn to deal with disappointment, when they take a belt examination and don’t pass first time, but still have to work hard in the preparation and competition.
– I pay for my kids to learn to make and accomplish goals.
– I pay for my kids to learn that it takes hours and hours and hours and hours of hard work and practice to be good at something, and that success does not happen overnight.
– I pay for the opportunity my kids have and will have to make life-long friendships.
– I pay so that my kids can be in the dojo instead of in front of a screen…
…I could go on but, to be short, I don’t pay for Aikido, I pay for the opportunities that Aikido provides my kids with to develop attributes that will serve them well throughout their lives and give them the opportunity to improve the lives of others. From what I have seen so far I think it is a great investment!
For more information on our Youth Academy, please call Dunken Francis on 0223 201 202.
All kids are welcome and the initial classes are free of charge.
Kids Aikido and martial arts classes, Auckland, north shore, east coast bays, Silverdale, Okura, Albany.